Friday, July 4, 2014

Cherry Coconut Frozen Yogurt Pops & Happy 4th of July!

It's been a while since I last posted here, and only sporadically on other's blogs. I have been diagnosed with vertigo, and it was an adjustment. It was frustrating and I didn't respond well to physical therapy.. so sitting at my desk in front of my laptop was hard to do. Even inclining my head the way you do to look at the screen, type, etc.. made me feel as though I was spinning. Then I got out of the habit of blogging and it took me a while to get started going online for more than just just a cursory check of my email. I hope all in the path of hurricane/tropical storm Arthur are safe and well.

So here we are in July, our 4th cookout is postponed until tomorrow, Saturday, when the weather won't be rainy. We're serving barbecue chicken, a pasta salad with an Asian theme, with lots of veggies. One of the sweet treats I've prepared, geared towards the kids are these ice pops. You could use any type of frozen, or even fresh fruit. I selected cherries as they were red, as another dessert is a tart with blueberries, and I thought it complimented the patriotic theme of the day.

Makes 8-10 ice pops

16 oz bag frozen cherries, thawed 
1 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp fresh lime juice
3/4 cup coconut milk
3/4 cup plain yogurt

Combine the cherries, water and sugar in a blender or food processor and puree. If you would prefer to strain out any small pieces of fruit, strain through a mesh strainer. Stir in the lime juice. Add in coconut milk, and yogurt and whisk together. Divide the mixture between the ice pop molds, I used small paper cups. Then freeze for 2 hours before serving. If like me you use small paper cups, freeze for 1/2 hour, cover opening of each cup with foil (to insure the sticks stand upright) then insert wooden popsicle sticks through foil and into the ice pop mixture. Return to freezer for remaining 1 1/2 hours or longer. 

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about not blogging the more I stayed off the computer the harder it was to go on it. I hope you are doing better with the vertigo. We had a quiet 4th with and invited a widowed friend over for a cookout, we had a nice visit. Those pops look sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete